1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan; line pan with parchment or wax paper; grease paper.Prepare Jelly Roll:
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl at medium speed until thickened slightly, 2 minutes. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time; continue beating until very thick and lemon-colored, 5 minutes. Beat in orange juice and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture just until mixed. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
3. Bake at 375 degree oven for 10 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
4. Sprinkle large towel with confectioners' sugar. When cake is done, immediately loosen edges. Invert cake onto towel. Remove paper from cake. Starting from short side, roll up cake, with towel, jelly-roll fashion. Place cake, seam side down, on rack to cool.Prepare Custard:
5. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk and sherry. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to low.
6. Whisk yolks slightly in a small bowl. Beat in 1/4 cup hot milk mixture. Slowly pour yolk mixture back into milk mixture in saucepan over low heat, stirring quickly and constantly, to prevent lumping. Heat, stirring, until custard thickens and thickly coats back of spoon.
7. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
8. Unroll cooled cake. Spread with preserves. Roll up cake without towel. Cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Line sides of 14-cup glass bowl with half the slices. Cut remaining slices into quarters; layer alternately in center with custard and berries. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
9. To serve, beat heavy cream, 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form. Spoon over top of trifle. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Makes 12 servings.