Makes: 16 crowns for $5.51. Prep: 25 minutes. Rise: 1 3/4 hours. Chill: 45 minutes. Bake: at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
1. Mix together warm water and 2 teaspoons syrup in small bowl. Sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Combine remaining syrup, butter, egg, cranberries, 2 cups flour and salt in large bowl. Add yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes or until well combined. Stir in enough of remaining flour to make dough.
3. Turn dough out. Knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise until doubled in volume, about 1-1/4 hours.
4. Punch dough down. Let rest for 5 minutes.Filling:
5. Beat cream cheese, preserves, flour, egg yolk, vanilla and nutmeg in small bowl until smooth.
6. Roll dough out to 16 x 11-inch rectangle. Spread filling over dough, leaving 1-inch border. Sprinkle with nuts. Starting with long side, roll up. Chill 15 minutes to firm slightly.
7. Cut roll into 16 equal slices. Place slices, cut sides up, in greased muffin cups. Snip through each slice, cutting into quarters, using scissors. Spread dough pieces open. Cover. Let rise until doubled, 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.Topping:
9. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over crowns.
10. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove to rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.