1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in small bowl. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk together the sugar, salt, butter, egg, milk and vanilla in a medium-size bowl. Stir in 1 cup of the flour. Stir in yeast mixture. Beat in enough of remaining flour for dough to hold together; dough will be soft.
2. Transfer dough to generously dusted work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Combine fruit bits, chocolate chips and nuts in bowl. Heat brown sugar and butter in small saucepan until melted and well combined. Stir into fruit mixture in the bowl.
4. Punch down dough. Transfer to work surface. Divide dough in half. Roll half into 14 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread half of filling over 2-inch-wide strip lengthwise down center of dough. Fold dough over filling, first one side, then the other. Gently shape roll into a rope. Pinch together ends and seam. Repeat with remaining half of dough and filling.
5. Lay 2 ropes side by side on work surface. Twist together. Squeeze ends together. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap; let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.Topping:
7. Mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Using fingers, rub in butter until texture resembles peas. Stir in chopped nuts. Once bread has risen, brush with egg white. Sprinkle with topping.
8. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Slice. Serve warm or cold.