1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour,whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine canned pumpkin and unsweetened applesauce and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together canola oil and sugar until well blended (about 5 minutes). Beat in egg whites and vanilla extract.
5. Gradually stir in flour and pumpkin mixtures and spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake 23 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave cupcakes in pan 5 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks.For frosting:
6. beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract at medium speed until blended.
7. Spread over cool cupcakes and decorate as desired.