These luscious chocolate cupcakes are flavored with malt powder and espresso. An irresistible cherry-vanilla buttercream icing tops this dessert recipe.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with 20 paper liners.Cupcakes:
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until blended.
3. Beat milk, malted milk powder and espresso powder on medium speed. Add canola oil and eggs; beat until blended.
4. On low speed, add flour mixture to milk mixture; beat until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined. Stir in miniature chips.
5. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling halfway. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes. Remove cupcakes to rack; cool completely.Buttercream:
6. Beat confectioners' sugar and butter on medium-low speed until well-blended. Add vanilla and heavy cream; beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry preserves until well-incorporated.
7. When cool, frost the cupcakes with a knife or offset spatula. Garnish the top of each cupcake with a malted milk ball or cherry and serve.