Use your imagination to decorate these chocolate cupcakes with candies to resemble barnyard animals. For a fun party activity, provide frosted cupcakes and let the kids create their own treats.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 medium-size muffin-pan cups with paper liners.
2. Mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in bowl.
3. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add whole eggs and whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon scant 1/4 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to racks to cool.Prepare Cupcake Frosting:
5. Beat butter or margarine, in medium-size bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted confectioners sugar alternately with milk and vanilla until smooth and good spreading consistency. Beat in pinch of salt.
6. Frost cupcakes, tinting batches of frosting with food coloring for desired colors. Decorate tops of cupcakes, using candies.