Servings: 4 Active Time 25 mins Total Time 25 mins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large ripe plantain, peeled and sliced on the bias
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- One 15-oz. can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo, divided
- 1 1/3 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
1. Heat oil in a 10-in. nonstick skillet over medium. Cook plantains until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Wipe skillet clean.
2. Stir together beaten eggs and 1/4 tsp. salt in the same skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until large curds form and eggs are mostly set, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Combine beans, 1/4 cup pico de gallo, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide rice, bean mixture, plantains, eggs, avocado, sour cream, and remaining 1/2 cup pico de gallo among 4 serving bowls.
Tip DIY It!
- Allowing picky eaters to assemble their own meals gives them a feeling of independence and makes it more likely that they will try new foods.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 458, Fat, total (g): 21, carb. (g): 54, fiber (g): 10, sugar (g): 9, pro. (g): 16, sodium (mg): 576, calcium (mg): 113, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.