- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 10 ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 15 ounce can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1. In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, salt, black pepper, and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat and gently simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking. Stir in the artichokes and black eyed peas. Cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes more, or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 317, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 57, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 8, sugar (g): 7, pro. (g): 8, vit. A (IU): 1347, vit. C (mg): 34, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 149, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 787, Potassium (mg): 266, calcium (mg): 89, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.