1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar and orange zest. Whisk into the flour mixture until evenly distributed.
3. Add the cubes of cold butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, a fork, or your hands work the butter into the flour. Mix until pea-sized chunks of the butter remain.
4. In a bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the fresh cranberries and gently mix with the dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead gently until the dough comes together.
5. Shape the dough into 2 small circles, each about 7-8 inches in diameter. Cut the dough into wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each scone with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the scones are light golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.