To make these striped cookies, layers of chocolate shortbread dough and almond shortbread dough are stacked on top of each other.
1. Sift together flour, cornstarch and salt into medium-size bowl.
2. Beat together butter and sugar in medium-size bowl until blended. On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until soft dough forms. Divide dough in half; place each in a bowl.
3. Knead cocoa powder and vanilla into one half of the dough. Knead almond extract into other half. Flatten both doughs into a disk; wrap each separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is firm.
4. Roll each batch of dough between 2 pieces of waxed paper into an even 10-inch square. If dough becomes too soft, refrigerate on a baking sheet.
5. Remove top piece of waxed paper from chocolate dough. Brush top with some egg white. Remove waxed paper from top of almond dough; invert onto chocolate dough. Peel off remaining piece of waxed paper. Cut dough into 4 equal strips. Brush strips lightly with egg white. Alternately stack strips. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
6. To bake, heat oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Cut dough crosswise into 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices on ungreased baking sheets, spacing slices 1 inch apart.
8. Bake in 375 degrees F oven 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.