1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with foil or parchment paper; or use ungreased sheets.
2. Mix together with pastry blender or fingers the butter, almonds, flour and sugar in large bowl, until mixture is crumbly. Work in vanilla.
3. Gather dough together into a ball; pat out on work surface to 1/2- to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with small round cookie cutter. Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet or an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
5. When cool, spread flat sides of half the cookies with preserves; sandwich each with plain cookie. Dip both sides of cookies in confectioners sugar to coat. Makes 4 dozen.