These chewy cookies are spiced with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Keep them at home as a family favorite, or share them. They make the perfect food gift when packaged in decorative boxes or wrapped in colorful cellophane.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or line with nonstick foil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites until well combined. Beat in vanilla.
4. With mixer on lowest speed, beat in flour mixture; then stir in oats and raisins. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
5. Form dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared cookie sheets; flatten slightly. If dough is sticky, wet hands with cold water and continue flattening. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes or until lightly golden around edges. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Line Chinese takeout boxes with tissue paper and place 3 to 4 cookies inside each.