Yield: about 48 cookies Prep 25 mins Bake 375°F 8 mins per batch Stand 1 min per batch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and, if desired, cinnamon and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in rolled oats.
2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Let stand on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks and let cool. Makes about 48 cookies.
Variation Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies:
- Prepare as directed, except after stirring in oats, stir in 1 cup raisins or snipped dried tart cherries and, if desired, 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
Oversize Oatmeal Cookies:
- Prepare as directed, except after stirring in oats, stir in 1 cup semisweet chocolate, butterscotch-flavored, or peanut butter-flavored pieces and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Prepare as directed, except use a 1/4-cup measure or scoop to drop mounds of dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press into a 3-inch circle. Bake in the 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Let stand on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks and let cool. Makes about 10 cookies.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 84, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): 17, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 12, pro. (g): 1, sodium (mg): 51, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.