Yield: about 3 dozen cookies Prep 20 mins Bake 350°F 8 mins
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
3. Beat butter, shortening and brown sugar in large bowl until smooth and creamy. Beat in 1/2 cup preserves, egg and orange rind. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and raisins.
4. Drop mixture by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
5. Using thumb or handle end of wooden spoon dipped in flour, press slight indentation in middle of each cookie, not pressing through bottom of cookie. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon apricot preserves into each indentation.
6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Let stand on sheets on rack 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to rack to cool. Store at room temperature in sealed plastic container with sheets of waxed paper or foil between layers.
Tip For Crispy Cookies:
- Omit baking powder and vegetable shortening. Increase butter to 1-1/2 cups; decrease brown sugar to 1 cup; add 1 cup granulated sugar; omit apricot preserves; and increase raisins to 1 cup or substitute 1 cup chopped dried apricots. Drop dough by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 149, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 13, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 23, pro. (g): 2, sodium (mg): 78, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.