1. Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl until frothy. Add salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Continue beating, gradually adding granulated sugar, until meringue is stiff and glossy.
3. Butter and flour baking sheets.
4. Spoon meringue into pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe out stars, 1-inch apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
5. Bake in 250 degree F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until firm, but not browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen.