1. Position racks in middle of oven. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
2. Fit large pastry bag with 1/2-inch round tip, and medium-size bag with 1/4-inch round tip. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. For template, cut a candy-cane shape from light cardboard or posterboard. Lightly trace 36 candy canes on parchment paper, 1/2 inch apart, tracing around template. Flip parchment paper over.
3. In medium-size bowl, beat whites, cream of tartar and salt with electric mixer at medium speed until foamy. Adding 1 tablespoon sugar at a time, beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in extract. Remove 1/2 cup meringue; tint pink with coloring.
4. Transfer white meringue to large pastry bag and pink meringue to medium-size bag. Fill in tracings with white meringue; pipe pink stripes diagonally across candy canes.
5. Bake canes in 200 degree oven 1-1/4 hours. Turn oven off; let meringues sit in oven 1 hour. With metal spatula, transfer canes to wire rack; let cool completely. Makes 3 dozen candy canes.