Makes: about 3 dozen sandwich cookies at $1.73 per dozen. Prep: 20 minutes. Bake: at 350 degrees for 14 to 15 minutes. Cook: 2 minutes.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil.Cookies:
2. Pulse coconut in food processor (see Note) until finely chopped. Add flour; pulse to combine. Add sugar, dried cranberries and salt; pulse to finely chop cranberries and evenly distribute ingredients. Add butter; pulse until evenly distributed and dough starts to come together. Add egg whites and coconut extract; pulse until dough comes together and starts to form a ball on side of work bowl.
3. For each cookie, drop 1 teaspoon of batter onto prepared baking sheets, spacing batter about 1-1/2 inches apart.
4. Bake cookies in 350 degrees F oven until cookie edges begin to brown slightly, about 14 to 16 minutes; half way through baking, rotate baking sheets from front to back and from one oven rack to another. Let cookies cool on baking sheet on wire rack 2 minutes. With thin metal spatula, carefully transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely. Repeat with any remaining batter.Filling:
5. Melt chocolate in small bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, about 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Or, microwave in microwave-safe bowl on HIGH power 1 minute; stir; microwave on HIGH power in 30 second increments as needed; stir until smooth.
6. Sandwich 2 cookies together with scant teaspoon melted chocolate. Repeat with remaining cookies and melted chocolate. Chill for 10 minutes or until filling is firm.