Chilling the dough overnight helps these tender cookies keep their puffy shape during baking. A simple orange glaze adds extra sweetness.
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium-size bowl.
2. Beat together butter and sugar on medium speed in large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes; Beat in eggs, vanilla and ricotta until well blended.
3. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
5. Shape dough by level tablespoons into balls. Place at least 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly brown. Do not overbake. Transfer cookies with metal spatula to wire rack to cool slightly.Meanwhile, prepare glaze:
7. Stir together confectioners sugar and orange juice in small bowl until smooth and good glazing consistency. If too thick, add additional orange juice, drop by drop, until desired consistency. Drizzle glaze evenly over each cookie. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Let stand until hardened. Makes 6-1/2 dozen cookies.