1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Grease two large baking sheets.
2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the shortening, sugars and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop batter by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degree F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool cookies on sheets on wire racks for 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.