Glazed and decorated with pastel-colored icing, these raspberry-filled cookies make a thoughtful gift on Valentine's Day.
1. In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In second bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, 3 minutes. Beat in yolks and vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 batches, until dough forms. Divide the dough in half; cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Grease baking sheets. On floured surface, roll half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness. With 2-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out cookies. Place on baking sheet(s). Gather scraps together; reroll; cut out more cookies for total of 40 cookies. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 8 minutes; dont let brown. Let cookies stand on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove cookies to wire racks. Let cool.
6. Roll out remaining half of dough. With 2-inch heart-shape cutter, cut out 40 cookies, using scraps as in step 4. Using 1-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out centers from 20 cookies. Place all of the cookies on prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake in 350 degrees F oven, bite-size cookies 6 minutes, larger cookies 8 minutes. Let stand on sheets 1 minute. Remove cookies to rack to cool.Icing:
8. In bowl, beat sugar, whites and water until glazing consistency, 8 minutes. Divide into thirds in 3 bowls. Tint a third pink, a third violet and leave a third plain. Decorate 20 cutout cookies, 20 bite-size cookies, 40 unfilled cookies. Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each of 20 solid undecorated cookies; top with cutout cookie.Note:
9. Powdered egg whites available from Wilton, 800-794-5866 or www.wilton.com.