Makes: 16 cookies. Prep: 20 minutes. Chill: 1 hour . Bake: at 350 degrees about 15 minutes.
1. Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves into a bowl.
2. Beat together butter and sugar in bowl until creamy. Beat in yolks and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill until firm enough to roll, 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
4. On floured surface, roll out half of dough to 3/8-inch thickness. Cut out cookies using a house cookie cutter. Using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Reroll scraps; if too soft, chill, about 10 minutes.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven until golden brown, 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack.Icing:
6. Whisk together confectioners sugar, orange juice and orange extract in medium-size bowl. Divide into several batches; tint as desired with food color. If icing is too thick, add drop or two of water or milk to thin to icing consistency. If icing is too thin, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup confectioners sugar. Transfer icings to pastry bags fitted with writing tips. Pipe windows, doors or other decorations onto cookies. Use icing to attach candies. Let stand until icing is completely dry. Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature.