1. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Beat butter, sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and egg in large bowl until fluffy. Stir in flour mixture. Divide dough in half and flatten. Wrap; freeze 30 minutes.
2. On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out rounds with 4-inch cutter or 1-pound coffee can. Reroll scraps.
3. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place sticks, 3 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets. Press cookies onto top third of sticks like a lollipop.
4. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes until lightly browned around edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet on rack for 5 minutes. Remove cookies to rack to cool.
5. Prepare Royal Icing; add extra water, drop by drop, until spreadable. Divide into batches; tint with different colors. Decorate cookies as desired. Let dry.
1. Using meringue powder, prepare 1 recipe according to package directions. Makes 3 to 4 cups. Packaged meringue powder is sold in baking supply stores.