Makes: about 2 1/4 dozen.
1. Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Beat together sugar, butter, sour cream, egg yolk and vanilla in large bowl until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour mixture. Shape into disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
4. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2-1/2- and 1-3/4-inch star cookie cutters. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
5. Pipe Royal Icing on large stars. Frost small stars; decorate with colored sugar or non-pareils. Glue small stars on large stars with icing.
1. Beat together confectioner's sugar, water and meringue powder in small bowl until stiff and fluffy. Divide into 5 small bowls. Stir food coloring and a few drops of water into 4 dishes; add just water to fifth bowl. Icing should be thick and opaque but no longer hold a peak. Use to decorate cookies.