You also could call these pretzels chocolate cookies. They're plenty sweet and are sprinkled with coarse sugar instead of salt.
1. Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt in a small bowl.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. On low speed, add flour mixture in thirds and beat until smooth. Shape dough into disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Divide dough into 24 equal portions. Lightly cover flat surface with sifted cocoa powder. Roll each portion in powder into 9-inch rope. Twist into pretzel shape. Space 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Redust surface with cocoa powder as needed. Brush pretzels with egg white. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 12 to 14 minutes or until just firm. Let cool slightly on sheet on wire rack. Transfer pretzels to racks. Let cool completely.