1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease large baking sheet.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until coarse crumbs form. Stir in almonds and cherries. Stir in eggs and vanilla until well blended. If mixture is crumbly dry, add milk. Divide mixture in half.
3. On lightly floured surface, with floured hands, press dough together and shape into two 10-inch-long logs. Flatten to 2-1/2-inch width. Place logs on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes. With two spatulas, transfer logs to rack to cool for 20 minutes.
5. With serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Return to baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are crisp and firm to touch. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.