Old-fashioned oatmeal cookies are still a kid-favorite lunch box treat and after-school snack.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread oats and walnuts in ungreased 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until toasted and light brown; cool.
3. In small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Beat together brown sugar, butter or margarine, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in oat mixture and then flour mixture.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans for 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.