1. In small bowl, combine nuts and 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, beat butter, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla and salt on medium speed until creamy and smooth, 2 minutes.
3. On low speed, gradually beat in flour until just blended. Gather into ball; flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Turn out dough on lightly floured work surface. Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into stars, using small cutters (1-3/4- to 2-inch). Place on ungreased baking sheets. Reroll scraps and cut out.
6. Lightly brush cookies with beaten egg white. Sprinkle nut-sugar mixture over tops.
7. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack; let cool completely.