Servings: 6 Yield: 10 cups Prep 25 mins Total Time 35 mins
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red onion, cut in quarters and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 8 ounces sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (optional)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
1. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven combine the broth, onion, 1 cup water, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir into the soup, along with the coconut milk, mushrooms and rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and fish sauce, if desired. Squeeze in the lime juice to taste and top with cilantro leaves just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 238, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 48, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 24, Monounsaturated fat (g): 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 22, vit. A (IU): 34, vit. C (mg): 10, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 19, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 154, Potassium (mg): 491, calcium (mg): 26, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.