1. Set lemon zest aside and add lemon juice to a large bowl of water.
2. Prep the artichokes by cutting the stems so they have a flat bottom and will stand up. Slice off the top quarter of the artichoke. Pull off the tough outer leaves near the stem, and use scissors to cut the thorny tips off the leaves. Add artichokes to the bowl of lemon water.
3. Mix the zest with the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, and salt.
4. Remove an artichoke from the lemon water and pat dry. Open and loosen the leaves from the artichoke, like a blooming flower. Using a small spoon, stuff the leaves with the breadcrumb mixture. (This is a fun job for the kids!) Continue with remaining artichokes.
5. Place artichokes in a pot and pour a thin stream of water to a quarter of the way up the sides of the artichokes (be careful not to get the stuffing wet). Drizzle 1 Tbs. olive oil on each artichoke.
6. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and steam for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until artichokes are easily pierced with a knife. Add boiling water to the pot if it gets low. Serve warm.