A luscious trio of dessert favorites meet in this elegant cake roll. Ground walnuts add a natural nuttiness to a cake that is filled with fresh strawberries and semisweet chocolate.
1. Heat oven to 375 F degrees. Line 15-1/4 x 10-1/4 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with greased waxed paper.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
3. Beat yolks and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in bowl until thick. Add vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon walnut extract. Fold in flour mixture and ground walnuts.
4. Beat whites and cream of tartar in clean bowl until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Stir quarter of whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly in jelly-roll pan.
5. Bake in 375 F degree oven 10 to 12 minutes, until center springs back when gently pressed and top is golden. Loosen edges of cake from pan; invert onto clean towel, sprinkled with 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar. Remove paper. Starting at short side, roll up cake, with towel. Place, seam side down, on rack to cool.
6. Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Reserve 3 strawberries. Very thinly slice remaining strawberries; toss with liqueur in a bowl.
7. Beat cream with remaining 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar and 1/8 teaspoon walnut extract in bowl.
8. Unroll cake. Trim off edges if crisp and cracked due to rolling. Reserve 3 tablespoons melted chocolate. Leaving 1-1/2-inch border at each short end, spread remaining chocolate over surface of roll. Arrange sliced strawberries over chocolate. Reserve 1/4 cup whipped cream. Spread remaining whipped cream over roll, leaving border at short ends. Reroll cake; place, seam side down, on large serving platter.
9. Spread remaining chocolate over top of cake. Garnish with remaining whipped cream and reserved whole strawberries. Makes 10 servings.