1. Line two 15 x 11 x 1-inch jelly-roll pans with waxed paper. Drain cherries well, place on double thickness of paper toweling and set aside.
2. Combine syrup and butter in medium-size bowl. Stir in sugar until well blended. Shape into 12-inch-long roll on waxed paper. Wrap waxed paper around roll; twist ends to seal and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Unwrap roll and cut into 24 1/2-inch pieces. Flatten each piece slightly in palm of hand and wrap around a cherry leaving stem uncovered. Set on a prepared pan; refrigerate 1 hour or until coating is firm.
4. Spread almonds on microwave-safe dinner plate. Microwave on high 3 minutes, stirring once. Remove and let cool on plate. When cool, chop finely and place in small shallow bowl.
5. Place chocolate and shortening in small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir until melted. If necessary, microwave for 15 seconds longer and stir to melt fully.
6. Holding by the stem, carefully dip cherry into chocolate to cover sugar coating completely. Scrape off excess. Dip bottom in chopped nuts and place on remaining prepared pan. Repeat to coat all cherries. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Place candies in a single layer in airtight container and store in a cool place for up to 2 weeks.