1. Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a glass bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir until smooth. With a small brush, coat insides of cones with some of the melted chocolate. Turn cones upside down on a rack over a sheet of wax paper and let harden in refrigerator.
2. Whisk together pudding mix and gelatin in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until pudding comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until very smooth. Add heavy cream and sugar and beat until medium peaks are formed. Fold one-third of the cream cheese mixture into cooled pudding mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining cream cheese mixture and transfer to a large piping bag or resealable plastic bag. Snip off a corner of the bag.
4. Flip over cones and place them in a cupcake pan (to help balance them). Pipe mousse into cones, dividing equally. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Reheat chocolate in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Dip cones into melted chocolate; sprinkle half with chopped almonds, if desired.