These darling cakes are made from a pound cake mix and glazed with melted canned frosting, allowing you more time to spend on the marzipan decorations and chocolate hearts.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 mini angel-food cake pans (1-1/3 cups each) or one 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Dust pan(s) with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Following package directions, prepare 2 boxes poundcake mix, using eggs and water. Pour 3/4 cup batter into each prepared mini-pan or all of the batter into large prepared baking pan. If baking 4 mini-cakes at a time, refrigerate remaining batter; allow slightly longer baking time for the cold batter.
3. Bake in 350 degree F oven, 20 to 25 minutes for mini-pans, or 60 minutes for large pan, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Unmold mini-cakes onto wire rack. If using large pan, unmold cake and cool; invert; trim top level with serrated knife. Cut into 3-inch pieces for total of 12 mini-cakes; brush off crumbs, and place cakes on wire rack. Then place rack on a tray with a lip to catch frosting drips.
5. Spoon the frosting into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until consistency of thickened liquid. Pour over cakes, 1/3 to 1/2 cup per cake; spread with thin spatula to cover cakes, including sides; do not overwork frosting while spreading. Let stand 15 minutes or until set. Cover with second coat of frosting. If frosting begins to firm up, microwave 10 seconds to loosen. Refrigerate any leftover frosting for other uses.Decorations:
6. For flowers and dots, tear off 1-1/2-inch piece of marzipan; slightly flatten on work surface. Squeeze a couple of drops of food paste color in center of marzipan; work in with hands. Roll out between 2 pieces of clear plastic wrap to 1/8-inch thickness. With 1-inch aspic cutters, cut out flower and leaf shapes. Cut small dots from scraps and roll other scraps into tiny balls to place in center of flowers. Repeat with remaining marzipan and different colors, for a total of about 60 flowers, 60 leaves and 60 dots. Arrange flowers and leaves on tops of cakes; place dots on other cakes. For piped hearts: Melt semisweet or white chocolate in small saucepan over low heat, or in bowl in microwave oven. Cool slightly. Pour into pastry bag fitted with small writing tip, or into small plastic food-storage bag snipping small piece from corner. Onto parchment or waxed paper on baking sheet, pipe small hearts. Place in freezer until hardened. With small metal spatula, transfer hearts to tops of cakes. Wrap ribbon around cakes to create gift packages; gently press ribbon on frosting to adhere. Make a bow; place on cake. Makes 12 individual cakes.