1. Prepare cake mix as package directs in assorted cupcake sizes. Let cool.
2. Microwave semisweet chocolate in a glass bowl for 1 minute on high power. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
3. Stir chocolate until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a writing tip. Pipe bat and owl wings, cat and owl ears and Frankenstein hair onto waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to set.
4. Divide one can white frosting into 2 bowls. Tint one bowl light blue, one bowl orange. Remove half of the second can to a small bowl and tint pink.Decorations:
5. Pumpkin: Frost cupcake orange. Pipe lines onto frosting to form ridges. Slice a spice drop for stem. Pipe on face with chocolate frosting, if desired.
6. Bat: Spread cupcake with blue frosting. Roll edge in sugar. Use candy-coated chocolates for the body. Remove 2 wings from waxed paper; tuck under body.
7. Spider: Spread a mini cupcake with chocolate or orange frosting. Coat with sprinkles. Tuck in 8 licorice whip pieces for legs. Place a candy-coated chocolate on top; pipe on eyes.
8. Spiderweb: Frost cupcake any color. Pipe contrasting spiral on top. Draw a knife through spiral, starting at center. Place regular and mini candy-coated chocolates on web. Pipe on eyes and legs.
9. Vampire: Spread cupcake with white frosting. Use chocolate frosting for hair. Slice a spice drop for eyes. Use a nonpareil for nose. Create eyeballs with frosting and mini chocolate chips. Pipe on a mouth and blue fangs.
10. Frankenstein: Spread cupcake with blue frosting. Attach chocolate hair, jelly bean nose and bolts. Create eyes with candy-coated chocolates, eyeballs with white frosting and mini chocolate chips. Pipe scars and mouth.
11. Cat: Spread cupcake with white or chocolate frosting (or both). Affix candy-coated chocolates as eyes; add chocolate ears or make white ears from a mini marshmallow halved diagonally. Pipe on nose, whiskers, mouth, inner ears and pupils.
12. Owl: Spread cupcake with white frosting. Affix wings and ears; use sprinkles for feathers. Create eyes with candy-coated chocolates, eyeballs with white frosting and mini chocolate chips. Make beak and feet with candy-coated sunflower seeds.
13. Makes 24 cupcakes.