Have snow year-round. The recipe for these mini chocolate cupcakes covered with marshmallow topping and coconut flakes creates one-of-a-kind dessert treats that look like snowballs.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees . Grease and flour eight, 8-ounce ovenproof glass bowls or round ramekins.
2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl. Whisk to blend. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and egg.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until just blended. Divide batter evenly among prepared bowls, a generous 1/4 cup in each. Place in oven on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Invert, remove bowls; cool completely.Marshmallow Topping:
4. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons cool water. Let stand 5 minutes.
5. Combine egg white powder and 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl. Whisk to blend. Beat mixture with an electric mixer on high until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until thick and glossy.
6. Heat gelatin mixture in microwave until dissolved, about 15 to 20 seconds. Pour dissolved gelatin into whipped egg whites, and stir to combine.
7. Place coconut in a small bowl. (Tint half pink with food coloring, if desired.) Spread an even layer of frosting all over the rounded side of cakes. Press the coconut onto the sides and to cover. Continue with remaining cakes.