Makes 8 servings at 80o each. Prep: 35 minutes. Bake: at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom and sides with foil; grease foil.
2. Heat margarine and chocolate in small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Let cool.
3. Beat egg whites in large bowl at high speed about 2 minutes or until stiff, but not dry peaks form.
4. Beat together egg yolks and sugar in large bowl until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Blend in chocolate mixture. Stir in almonds.
5. Fold beaten whites, one-third at a time, into chocolate mixture until no streaks of white remain. Scrape into prepared pan.
6. Place an 8-inch baking pan on bottom shelf of oven; add 1 inch of boiling water to pan (this will make the torte more moist).
7. Bake torte on center shelf in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until sides start to pull away from pan and top is set in center. Cover loosely with foil for last 20 minutes of baking. (Don't worry if top cracks, since it will become the bottom of the cake.)
8. Transfer springform pan to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove side of pan. Loosen sides of cake from foil; invert onto serving plate. Remove foil and cool completely.
9. To serve, pulverize the 2 tablespoons sugar, if using, in blender. Sprinkle over top of cake. Garnish with berries if you wish.