1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8 x 2-inch round layer-cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.For cakes:
2. Melt chocolate in small bowl over hot water.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into medium-size bowl.
4. Beat butter in bowl until creamy. Beat in brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla and melted chocolate.
5. Sift flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions, beating after each, until smooth. Pour into prepared pans.
6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 30 to 33 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges with knife; turn cakes out onto racks. Cool completely.Frosting:
7. Beat yolks in bowl until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar until very light in color, 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in milk. Mix yolk-milk mixture, remaining 1 cup sugar and butter in saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat, whisking occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Boil, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until melted, and add vanilla. Transfer to bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes, until spreading consistency.
8. Beat frosting on medium speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes. Immediately frost cake: 1 cup to sandwich layers, 1-1/2 cups for sides, and 1/2 cup for top.Garnish:
9. Melt chocolate in bowl over hot water; dip one end of each almond into chocolate. Stand almonds around edge of cake.