You decide. Is this luscious chocolate dessert a shortcake or a trifle? To make it, layer chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and strawberries in a bowl and top with whipped cream.
1. Cut cake into 1-1/2-inch squares.
2. Prepare pudding according to instructions. Cool completely with plastic wrap directly on surface.
3. Beat cream in bowl. When frothy, beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and vanilla until soft peaks form.Assemble:
4. On bottom of 15-cup glass bowl, arrange layer of cake squares, cut side down. Cover with third of pudding. Layer a third of sliced strawberries in decorative fashion. Top with third of whipped cream. Repeat layering two more times. Keep cream on final layer, 1-1/2 inches from edge of bowl so layer of berries underneath is visible.
5. Chill, covered, at least 3 hours, or overnight. Can be made up to 2 days ahead.