1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9 x 9 x 2-inch square pan.
2. Stir together baking soda and boiling water in a medium-size bowl until baking soda is dissolved. Stir in nuts and dates.
3. With mixer at low speed, beat together sugar and mayonnaise in large bowl until well blended. Add chocolate and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add date mixture; beat until blended. Gradually beat in flour until smooth. Turn into prepared pan.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
5. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with whipped cream if desired. Or frost with our Fudge Frosting or your own if desired.
1. Stir together confectioners sugar, syrup, cocoa, butter and vanilla extract in small bowl until blended.