This double chocolate cake recipe is made with both semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder and frosted with white chocolate frosting.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9 x 2-inch round cake pans.
2. Microwave 4 ounces chocolate in glass bowl on high to melt, stirring once, 2 minutes. Stir in remaining chocolate. Cool slightly.
3. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt onto parchment or waxed paper.
4. Beat butter and sugar in bowl until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in chocolate.
5. Mix sour cream and water in bowl. On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour; beat on medium-high speed 3 minutes. Spread 1/3 of batter in each pan.
6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 25 to 30 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in center of comes out clean; do not overbake. Cool 15 minutes on rack. Turn cakes out onto rack. Cool.To assemble cake:
7. Sandwich 3 cake layers together, using 1 cup frosting between. Frost top sides with remaining frosting. Chill cake at least 2 hours for easy cutting. Garnish with white chocolate curls. Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
1. Chill 2-1/2 cups cream, large mixing bowl and beaters in refrigerator. Bring additional 1/2 cup cream in saucepan to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir white baking chocolate until melted. Pour into second bowl; refrigerate to chill, about 1 hour. Add chilled cream, chilled chocolate mixture, vanilla and confectioners' sugar together in chilled bowl; beat 3 minutes or until stiff enough to spread, but not grainy.