- 4 six-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 orange and/or yellow sweet peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans no salt added petite diced tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted peeled, and chopped
1. Place the tortilla strips on a paper towel-lined plate, sprinkle with a little salt, and cover with another paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments until light brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Cool and reserve for serving.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped peppers, onion, and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, green chiles, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Stir in the chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with pepper. Top with the avocado and tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 256, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 60, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 21, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 5, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 25, vit. A (IU): 730, vit. C (mg): 129, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 11, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 45, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 414, Potassium (mg): 634, calcium (mg): 45, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.