Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 8 mins Cook 6 hrs on HIGH or LOW for 8 hours
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sweet onions (such as Vidalia), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, seeds removed, and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 mangoes, diced, or 2 cups frozen mango chunks, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cooked corn grits or polenta (optional)
1. Season pork with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown all sides of pork, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a slow cooker, stir tomato paste, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into chicken broth. Add onions, garlic and chipotles. Place browned pork on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. With 30 minutes remaining, add mango; re-cover.
3. Stir in cilantro. Serve with corn grits or polenta, if desired.
Variation Asian Barbecued Pork
Spiced Indian Pork
- Omit 1 onion, chipotles, mango, cilantro and the 1/2 teaspoon salt from the sauce. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, a 2-inch piece of ginger (peeled and grated), 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice. Pour over browned pork in slow cooker. Slice and serve in beef ramen noodle soup, adding some of the cooking liquid to each bowl along with a poached egg and sliced scallions.
- Omit 1 cup broth, sugar and chipotles. Dice pork into 1-inch cubes and brown in oil. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients (except mango and cilantro) as well as 1 can (14.5 ounces) coconut milk, a 2-inch piece of ginger (peeled and grated), 1 teaspoon each cumin and turmeric, 1 tablespoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. With 30 minutes remaining, add mango. Before serving, stir in cilantro. Serve over brown basmati rice.
Creamy Pork and Mushroom Sauce
- Omit brown sugar, chipotles and mango. Add 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, zest of 1 lime and 1/2 cup diced pickles. When finished, stir in cilantro. Slice and serve with sliced ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and yellow mustard inside a panini, or on soft Cuban or Italian bread.
- Omit tomato paste, brown sugar, chipotles and mango. Add 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms, 2 sprigs rosemary and 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mix latter with a bit of broth to a cream-like consistency before adding). After cooking, discard rosemary, shred pork and replace cilantro with parsley. Slowly stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream. Serve with rigatoni and shredded Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 346, Fat, total (g): 12, chol. (mg): 102, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 25, fiber (g): 2, pro. (g): 34, sodium (mg): 852, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.