Prep 20 mins Bake 400°F 25 mins Cook 10 mins Broil 1 min
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and chopped, plus 1 tbsp adobo
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (141/2 oz) diced tomatoes, fire-roasted or with chipotle
- 6 hero rolls (about 2 oz each), split
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or sharp white cheddar
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees . Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil.
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, chipotle, adobo, salt and oregano. Form into 18 meatballs and place on prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 10 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan, combine diced tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Add meatballs and simmer on medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon 3 meatballs and some sauce into each roll. Sprinkle 2 tbsp cheese over each and broil about 1 minute, until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately with any remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 415, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 139, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 44, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 24, sodium (mg): 1053, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.