Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (6 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Crushed tortilla chips or cooked brown rice (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Put the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When it's hot, add the beef, onion, and black pepper. Cook and stir until meat has lost its pink color and onion is soft; drain off fat. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add the beans and tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have begun to break down and the flavors have melded, about 15 minutes. Serve over chips or rice, if desired, and garnish with cilantro and cheese.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 289, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 43, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 25, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 10, sugar (g): 3, pro. (g): 25, vit. A (IU): 875, vit. C (mg): 8, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 40, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 238, Potassium (mg): 259, calcium (mg): 141, iron (mg): 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.