Servings: 16 Prep 10 mins Cook 33 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 29 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 15 ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Baked potatoes, hot dogs and buns, hard taco shells and fully cooked rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced scallions and sour cream
1. Heat oil in a large, lidded pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook 1 minute.
2. Increase heat to medium high. Crumble in ground beef. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar and chocolate and cook until dissolved. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and cayenne and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Uncover and stir in beans. Cook 2 minutes to heat through. Serve spooned over baked potatoes or hot dogs, inside hard taco shells or over rice. Garnish with shredded cheese, scallions and/or sour cream.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 16; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 292, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 58, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 18, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 20, sodium (mg): 581, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.