Servings: 12 Prep 15 mins Soak overnight Cook 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 1/2 cups dry white beans
- 1 1/2 cups dry chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen lima beans, thawed
- 4 ounces sliced prosciutto, cut into ribbons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large bunch escarole (about 1 lb), sliced
- Shaved Parmesan (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
1. Place beans and chickpeas in a large pot and cover with cold water. Soak overnight.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. Stir in drained beans and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 90 minutes.
3. Add lima beans, prosciutto, salt and pepper. Return to a simmer and gradually add escarole. Cook 2 minutes, until escarole is tender.
4. Ladle into bowls. Top with shaved Parmesan and drizzle with olive oil, if using.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 257, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 42, fiber (g): 12, pro. (g): 15, sodium (mg): 415, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.