Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) dark-red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Cook bacon in large Dutch oven over high heat until bacon starts to brown. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken; cook, stirring to break up lumps, until chicken loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute.
2. Stir in tomatoes, broth, sugar, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring often, until chili is thickened, about 45 minutes.
3. Stir in beans; cook until heated through, about 15 minutes. Uncover for last 15 minutes of cooking for a thicker chili.
4. To serve, ladle chili into bowls. Top with sour cream and sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 321, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 131, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 23, pro. (g): 26, sodium (mg): 982, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.