Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 17 mins
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 48 ounce large can light and fat-free chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 head escarole, trimmed, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Make It Meatballs
1. In large bowl, combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, egg, scallions, Parmesan and chopped thyme. Stir until evenly blended. With wet hands, form into 1-inch meatballs, about 40 total. Set aside. Soup
2. In large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips and scallions. Cook 5 minutes, to soften. Add broth, thyme sprigs and 4 cups water; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
3. Gently drop meatballs into simmering broth mixture. Reduce heat to medium and cook 4 minutes. Add escarole in 2 batches, and the couscous. Cook 8 more minutes, then stir in Parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 270, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 66, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 27, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 19, sodium (mg): 615, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.