Servings: 6 Prep 25 mins Cook 4 hrs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, cut in half
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled cut into chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
1. In small bowl, combine paprika, sugar, salt, thyme, and pepper. Remove neck and giblets from cavity of chicken and discard. Rinse chicken and dry with paper towels. Sprinkle paprika mixture over entire chicken.
2. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken, breast side down, in skillet, and brown. Using tongs, turn chicken to brown all sides. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add onion to skillet and cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Transfer onion and garlic to slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Place chicken on top of veggies in slow cooker. Cover and cook 4 hours on high. To cook 8 hours on low, use a chicken that has been cut into pieces.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 570, Fat, total (g): 32, carb. (g): 30, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 39, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.