Servings: 4 Prep 20 mins Cook 31 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound small potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch coins
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked couscous
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side, until browned. Remove to a plate and reserve.
2. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if onions start to burn. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne. Simmer, covered, on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add zucchini, chickpeas, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and reserved chicken. Simmer, covered, for an additional 12 to 14 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
3. Serve stew over cooked couscous. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon salt over top before serving.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 507, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 83, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 73, fiber (g): 12, pro. (g): 32, sodium (mg): 666, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.